27.10.09

Cheese

Funny as it may seem, dairy products are one of the things I miss the most here in Rurutu. We don't have fresh milk on the island, though there is a dairy in Tahiti. We only have UHT or dried cow milk (of course we have coconuts aplenty) and until recently our choice in cheeses was mostly limited to processed cheddar (a weird plastic-like substance called 'cheesdale' ), laughing cow and smelly french cheeses imported for Christmas. However, since our new 'superstore' opened in 'town', the competition between stores and the market for things exotic has really grown. For the last month or so there has been a reliable source of a mild cheddar from NZ; OK so it's not an aged sharp welsh cheddar, but it makes my heart sing, just to have a little bit of cheddar cheese in the fridge......When I tried to communicate my happiness at having some cheddar cheese to the woman working the till I got some amused and slightly incomprehending grins (crazy gringo), I guess it'd be a bit like finding tinned taro at Tesco's in Ystrad Mynach!

No comments: