20.2.10

Ten Reasons why I like living in Rurutu: #5

Tropical flowers - it's still the summer here, so we're enjoying the exuberant tropical blooms, the rich fragrances and shocking colors, it's a wonderful part of everyday life here. Not to mention the leis, which are a tradition that is particularly strong here in the Australs. Arrivals and departures must be heralded with flowers and the bigger the better!

Our dear friend Maeva would not be seen out and about without a 'couronne' on her head.......

I'm not much of a gardener, but even I'm inspired to give it a go; the lush tropical vegetation barely needs tending. Orchids grow here like a weed.

Heliconia and torch ginger, with their exquisite other-worldly, almost chiseled blooms.


Hibiscus, the quintessential South Seas flower, comes in a fabulous array of reds, oranges, pinks and yellows.


Gardenia with it's heady perfume and equally sweet smelling Tahitian variety, is everywhere and is widely used in leis and for monoi.


Ylang ylang, grows outside our home and while the flowers look a little strange, the sublime perfume filters up into the bedrooms in the evening, it's just magnificent.


Other superb fragrances in our garden include Plumeria and white ginger (it has a peppery, sweet fragrance that is indescribable),

Heck, even coconut flowers smell good.......

I'm just starting work on a wall of jasmine for our terrace. All these fragrances really are remarkable and I'd love to start making my own line of monoi oil and soaps, from my own essential oils or flower waters......I've already been toying with it, but I'm not there yet!

No comments: