1.6.11

Homegrown Squash

What with the current E.coli cucumber food scare sending Europeans into a frenzy, and an ever increasing number of alarming reports on mass farming practices (exploding watermelons in China, for example), I'm mighty glad to be doing our best to grow our own. We've got a huge, uncontrollable squash-vine taking over half of our backyard at the moment, and much to Matotea's delight it's got a whole heap of squash coming on it. She likes to keep a close eye on how many we have, and whether they're still there where she left them last time.  I think a few of them should be ready by the end of june. I can't wait to get going making squash soup, squash curry and even squash cake (yes, I have a recipe, and whatsmore it is REALLY delicious), I'm even told that squash jam is quite good, though that'll be a new one on me.

No comments: