15.2.17

Chasing onions


Yesterday was a good day, not because of any Valentines surprises (let’s not get crazy now!)– it was as romantic as you can expect life to be with a pressing translation deadline and full house (including nine children, only three my own), school holidays already! It was a good day because the boat came in, carrying materials we bought in Tahiti to continue fixing up the house, a new chainsaw for Viriamu and some fruits and veggies…….oh what joy, carrots, pears and onions. I spend a good part of my life chasing onions, traipsing halfway around the island to find this kitchen staple. Normally it wouldn’t bother me, but, it’s been stinking hot these last few weeks. As hot as I have ever known it on Rurutu.  A pressing heat that demotivates and makes tempers fray.  So, over the weekend when onions were nowhere to be found, stocks in Moerai depleted and the stores in Avera closed for that extra-long afternoon nap, I roasted for an hour in the car, hot and sweating, waiting for the shop's doors to magically open, I did get the last handful of rather tatty golden orbs, no less precious to me than gold nugget. Making hopes for a squash gratin and sashimi dinner reality. Don’t even hope for greens or salad, there aren’t any, everyone is too hot to plant them this year, or others say there are too many insect pests – think I need to grow green fingers and get some organic farming tips…. I also need to rediscover my permaculture plans.

No comments: