30.4.18

Brits are like buses!

Here in Rurutu English-speakers are few and far between, let alone Brits, but weirdly enough these last few weeks there’s been a dearth, just like London buses, you wait for ages then three show up at once! And so it was, between various film crews and a soul-searching Londoner, it was a great opportunity to speak some English, as well as to share some British humor (quite unlike French or Polynesian incidentally). I’m a big fan of self-exploration, meeting people from back home is always interesting, particularly here, it’s a reminder of where I’ve come from, but also how I’ve changed too. And I do marvel at the journey, a self-absorbed past-time I know, but I like where I am now. I’ve had helping hands along the way, I’ve always read lots and there’s a lot of wisdom out there to be gleaned from other amazing people that cross your path.

Quite by accident Elizabeth Gilbert’s Creative Living fell into my lap and it kept me amused, she’s quite an eccentric (of course who’s to call the kettle black), but her creative philosophy is spot on. As for me, I’m slowly embracing my creativity, which I’ve never fully given the space it deserves. Concerns about being frivolous and making a real contribution somewhere along the way. But here I am back where I started, after way too many years in further education, a cook and a writer, two vague dreams that I’d toyed with in high school, before putting them aside …. So, in some ways I may have come full circle, or maybe it’s more of a spiral.

No comments: