5.11.10

November

This new month heralds the change in the seasons, the whales will be leaving us soon, and the season of plenty is arriving, the tiare bushes and plumeria are just bursting with flowers. It's also the end of the busy season for us, and while we still have a bit of a rush on over the school holidays next week and in December, I can breathe a bit easier and have more time to work on my side-projects. The jam-making business is starting to roll, I have the jars and now just need to fill 'em!
My phase-two project, the toiletries and other smellies is also slowly making its first baby steps. I've called it 'Eteroa noa noa' which roughly means 'Rurutu perfumed island'. A while back I made up my first batch of aromatherapy incense sticks (calming - sandalwood and green tea, relaxing - frangipani and lavender, revitalising - hibiscus and rose, uplifting - tiare and ylang-ylang, invigorating - vanilla and ginger, energizing - papaya and citronella), along with some labels.
tamanu seeds

More recently I've formulated a lip-salve from monoi (coconut-oil) and tamanu oil (the seeds of a locally occurring tree, with almost mythical skin healing properties), two excellent moisturizing ingredients, ideal for pampering chapped or sun-burnt lips. For fun, I also made some hand-milled monoi soaps, using funky tropical soap molds. Now I'm starting to market them - it's quite exciting to watch these little seedlings of ideas grow and very slowly start to sprout leaves. My mother-in-law was in Tahiti for the annual Austral Islands arts expo and had great success with my new products, so I'm feeling quietly confident and ready to go to the next step.

No comments: